Skip to main content

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I avoided seeing Ghostbusters Afterlife because the 2016 remake of Ghostbusters wasn’t very good. Neither was the 1989 sequel to Ghostbusters--and, admittedly, I wasn’t a huge fan of the original 1984 Ghostbusters, either. I didn’t hate the original movie, but I was never caught up in the wave of adoration for it that swept through the country back then. I guess you can say I’m not a Ghosthead, one of the rabid fans of the franchise, and the subject of a very well-made documentary that you should see, especially if you really enjoy the movies.

But I eventually saw Ghostbusters Afterlife because--well, why not? I assumed beforehand that I would dislike it, but that it wouldn’t matter, because I’d only watch it once, and just forget about it, just like I did with the other Ghostbusters films. But something interesting happened: I would up enjoying Ghostbusters Afterlife a great deal. The new Ghostbusters film tries to be the true sequel to the original film, despite the death of one of its stars, and it succeeds admirably.

The new film leans into the fact that Harold Ramis, who played the coolly Spock-like Egon, has left us by killing off his character (played by Bob Gunton in a shadowy, spookily thrilling prologue) on-screen right at the start of the film. His grown, estranged daughter, well-played by Carrie Coon, brings her kids to Egon’s house--a place located in the boonies in Oklahoma--to claim what winds up being not much of an inheritance. The late Egon was known by all as having ran away from his family and friends to live in the boonies, where he went insane.

Finn Wolfhard (Stranger Things) and Mckenna Grace (who should know a thing or two about ghosts, thanks to her lead role in the equally entertaining Annabelle Comes Home) play Egon’s grandkids. And it’s Grace who shines here, giving a perfect ‘chip off the old block’ performance that marvelously mimics Egon’s studious nature without becoming a caricature. Jason Reitman, the son of original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman, easily handles the drama scenes just as well as the special effect moments, making Afterlife a truly gripping and satisfying film overall. It’s the perfect call back to the original film while also being its own unique story.

And by leaning into the fact that the actor who played Egon is deceased, by making his character’s loss a major part of the storyline, Afterlife takes advantage of a golden opportunity to present us with a truly emotional ending. Jason Reitman winds up giving us a popcorn movie with gravitas, making Ghostbusters Afterlife the best of all of the Ghostbusters films. I enjoyed it so much that, instead of ignoring Afterlife, like its brethren, I went out and got a physical media copy of it. And I’m even considering getting the original Ghostbusters film (but I might still ignore the sequel and the 2016 version…because, you know, ugh!). --SF

Ghostbusters Afterlife can be bought here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explorer From Another World

It’s Friday night during the summer in Beutter county, an idyllic farming community in Indiana, and the good folks are settling in for what should be another humdinger of an evening. Until their plans are shattered by the arrival of an Explorer From Another World! This turns out to be an alien (Gemma Sterling) who starts savagely killing people from the moment it disembarks from its flying saucer. Local kids Eddie (Colin McCorquodale), Marybeth (Sage Marchand) and Culpepper (Nolan Gay) are planning on seeing a movie, but it looks like they’ll be battling for the very survival of the human race instead! Explorer From Another World is a wonderfully done throwback to the B-movies of the 1950s and 1960s. Ably directed by Woody Edwards (who gives himself a small cameo as Hank in the sheriff’s jail cell), the film is forty five minutes long, but manages to tell its torrid but funny story very effectively in the time allotted. And the short running time tracks when you...

Logan's Run -- a review

I first saw Logan’s Run in a New Jersey movie theater fifty years ago, when I was a boy. The theater, somewhere in the suburban wilds of the Garden State, was packed to the gills with people. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the movie back then—all I cared about that it was a brand new science fiction film, in an age when big budget SF properties on both TV and the big screen was very rare (of course, Star Wars , which would be released the very next year, would change all of that). Based on the 1967 novel of the same name by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson, Logan’s Run is a futuristic tale about a man named Logan 5 (Michael York) who has a special job in a place filled with hedonistic leisure. Logan lives within the splendor of a Utopian society whose population dwells within large domes. The interior is presented as a vast, upscale shopping mall where its citizens want for nothing. Every need, every whim, and every fantasy is met. Of course, there’s a catc...

The Conjuring: Last Rites

Whether you believe in the “true” exploits of demonologists Ed & Lorraine Warren or not (I don’t), The Conjuring series of films, based on their “true” stories, have all been very entertaining, with everything now supposedly coming to an end with The Conjuring: Last Rites . After a prologue in 1964, where we witness the traumatic birth of the Warren’s daughter, Judy, the rest of the movie advances to 1986, with the Warrens now somewhat retired. They’re still speaking at colleges, before giggly students who crack Ghostbusters jokes at them, but the Warrens have ceased personally investigating creepy cases on their own. That is, until their good friend Father Gordon (Steve Coulter) winds up hanging from a noose, thanks to a demonic attack. Father Gordon had been trying to get the Warrens to investigate the case of the Smurls--a family in Pennsylvania who are suffering through a severe haunting in their house, and when the Warrens finally do get involved, the demons come...