Skip to main content

My D&D Dragon

Back in the 1980s, I got caught up in the whirlwind of the Dungeons & Dragons craze (a craze that's still going strong today) and bought myself one of their dragon kits. I never got around to actually building and painting this kit until very recently. It was the new D&D movie starring Chris Pine that actually spurred me onward. I was also inspired to build this after watching the fantastic House of the Dragon TV series.

And here she is, in all of her glory. I had to glue on the wings with superglue, then secured them in further with putty. I then painted her with a burgundy red and green paint job, with a honey brown color painton her legs and underside. I also used a black wash on the figure to really bring out the great sculpt job.

She came already standing on a rock base, which I glued down to a large block of solid wood. The wood base worked well, because the dragon, being solid metal, is really heavy. The wood base, while heavy in its own right, gives the dragon a secure home.

I smeared Flex Paste, from Woodland Scenics, and after it dried, I painted it blue with white dry-brushed on the high ridges. This created the look of water, as if the dragon had landed on a tiny sliver of land in the ocean, or on a lake.

The dragon is six and a half inches long, with the wingspan also coming in at six and a half inches. I'm glad I've finally brought this beauty to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explorer From Another World

It’s Friday night during the summer in Beutter county, an idyllic farming community in Indiana, and the good folks are settling in for what should be another humdinger of an evening. Until their plans are shattered by the arrival of an Explorer From Another World! This turns out to be an alien (Gemma Sterling) who starts savagely killing people from the moment it disembarks from its flying saucer. Local kids Eddie (Colin McCorquodale), Marybeth (Sage Marchand) and Culpepper (Nolan Gay) are planning on seeing a movie, but it looks like they’ll be battling for the very survival of the human race instead! Explorer From Another World is a wonderfully done throwback to the B-movies of the 1950s and 1960s. Ably directed by Woody Edwards (who gives himself a small cameo as Hank in the sheriff’s jail cell), the film is forty five minutes long, but manages to tell its torrid but funny story very effectively in the time allotted. And the short running time tracks when you...

Logan's Run -- a review

I first saw Logan’s Run in a New Jersey movie theater fifty years ago, when I was a boy. The theater, somewhere in the suburban wilds of the Garden State, was packed to the gills with people. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the movie back then—all I cared about that it was a brand new science fiction film, in an age when big budget SF properties on both TV and the big screen was very rare (of course, Star Wars , which would be released the very next year, would change all of that). Based on the 1967 novel of the same name by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson, Logan’s Run is a futuristic tale about a man named Logan 5 (Michael York) who has a special job in a place filled with hedonistic leisure. Logan lives within the splendor of a Utopian society whose population dwells within large domes. The interior is presented as a vast, upscale shopping mall where its citizens want for nothing. Every need, every whim, and every fantasy is met. Of course, there’s a catc...

The Conjuring: Last Rites

Whether you believe in the “true” exploits of demonologists Ed & Lorraine Warren or not (I don’t), The Conjuring series of films, based on their “true” stories, have all been very entertaining, with everything now supposedly coming to an end with The Conjuring: Last Rites . After a prologue in 1964, where we witness the traumatic birth of the Warren’s daughter, Judy, the rest of the movie advances to 1986, with the Warrens now somewhat retired. They’re still speaking at colleges, before giggly students who crack Ghostbusters jokes at them, but the Warrens have ceased personally investigating creepy cases on their own. That is, until their good friend Father Gordon (Steve Coulter) winds up hanging from a noose, thanks to a demonic attack. Father Gordon had been trying to get the Warrens to investigate the case of the Smurls--a family in Pennsylvania who are suffering through a severe haunting in their house, and when the Warrens finally do get involved, the demons come...